How can I apply for a copy certificate?
You can apply for certificates for events that happened in our area, Newcastle upon Tyne.
If the event happened within the last month, contact the Register Office for a copy certificate.
Please note, searches will not be made without payment first being made. If the search is unsuccessful, a refund may be given.
Search indexes and apply online
Certificate costs can be found on our fees page. Payment can be made by credit or debit card. A handling fee of 2% is added to all credit card transactions.
Certificates will be folded and placed in envelopes for posting out. If you do not want your certificate folding, place your order in person or by phone and make your preference clear to the officer taking your order. Arrange to collect your certificate from the Register Office at the Civic Centre.
Other ways to apply
- By post - send us the details of the certificate you require together with your payment. Payment can be made by cheque, postal order or International Sterling Money order.
- By phone - phone 0191 278 7878 and ask for 'Register Office'. Payment can be made over the phone by credit or debit card. A handling fee of 2% is added to all credit card transactions.
- In person - at our Customer Service Centres, please check their website information for each Customer Service Centre's opening times. Please note: the Civic Centre Customer Service Centre is the only centre which can accept cash payments for this service.
- 24-hour service - to take advantage of our 24-hour Priority Service, place your order by phone or in person before 11am, to collect after 3pm from the Registrars Entrance at the Civic Centre. If you order after 11am, you can collect after 11am the next working day from the Registrars Entrance at the Civic Centre. The charge for the 24-hour Priority Service can be found on our fees page.
What information do I need to provide?
You must supply this information in order for your request to be processed:
- Births - first name at birth, last name at birth, year of birth and first and last names of at least one of the parents.
- Deaths - first and last name of the deceased person and the year of death.
- Marriages - first and last names of at least one of the married couple and the year of marriage.
- Civil Partnerships - first and last names of both partners, address of each partner at the time the ceremony took place, the year and venue in which the ceremony took place.